How do I install or update Comet Cache via FTP/SFTP?
If you cannot install or upgrade Comet Cache Pro via the WordPress Dashboard (perhaps because your web hosting company is blocking the requests to WebSharks' servers; see Why am I getting a 404 error?), then you may need to use FTP/SFTP to install or upgrade Comet Cache Pro.
Follow these steps to install or upgrade Comet Cache Pro via FTP or SFTP:
- If you are upgrading Comet Cache, visit WordPress Dashboard → Comet Cache → Plugin Options → Plugin Deletion Safeguards first and make sure that "Safeguard my options" is selected; this will ensure that you don't lose any of your existing Comet Cache configuration when upgrading.
- Deactivate and delete Comet Cache, if it is currently installed.
- Download the
comet-cache-pro.zipfile from your account at cometcache.com.
- Unzip the file you downloaded; you should now have a folder called
- Login to your site via FTP/SFTP and navigate to
wp-content/plugins/(if you're not sure how to do this, please contact your web hosting company).
- If there is an existing
wp-content/plugins/, delete it (or you can overwrite it with the new folder).
- Upload the new
comet-cache-profolder (the one you unzipped) to
- When finished uploading, visit WordPress Dashboard → Plugins, locate Comet Cache Pro in the list of installed plugins, and click Activate on Comet Cache Pro.
- Once the plugin is active, you can go to WordPress Dashboard → Comet Cache → Plugin Options → Enable/Disable, and Enable Comet Cache.
That's it! The latest version of Comet Cache Pro has now been installed or upgraded.